Living Proof is a technology driven consumer products company based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The company was founded by Polaris Venture Partners, professional stylists, and a team of scientists including Dr. Bob Langer, an institute professor at MIT and one of history’s most prolific inventors in medicine. Created in Cambridge , for the purpose of applying advanced technology to solve the toughest beauty challenges. Its team of scientists and beauty authorities share a common aspiration: to challenge the status quo and end the common beauty frustrations of people everywhere. By assembling world-class scientists from a range of disciplines and leading universities we are able to look at everyday concerns from a completely unique, fresh perspective.
The company has been receiving a tremendous amount of press and positive customer feedback to date. Our products are available at Livingproof.com, Sephora, Ulta, QVC, Nordstrom and in select salons. Living Proof products are also available in Europe at SpaceNK, and Mecca Cosmetics in Australia.
The company has also added Jennifer Aniston as a co-owner and spokesperson for Living Proof’s hair care business. With Jennifer’s iconic status and popularity, she has already begun making a tremendous impact in driving awareness for the company.
The Living Proof culture is one of integrity and excellence where technology and product performance, not marketing, is the driving force. It is further collaborative, curious, creative, passionate, risk-inclined and results-oriented.
In addition to an open, creative, and fun work environment, we offer all our employees comprehensive benefits package including incentive stock options. Eligibility to work in the U.S. is required.
For immediate consideration for any open position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The Vice President of International Sales will report to the CEO and oversee the strategy and execution of salon sales and training in the international (ex-North American) market. This executive will need to introduce, establish and develop the brand internationally through a strong network of international distributors consistent with the brand’s values and short and long-term financial goals. The channel mix will be predominantly salons, with some retail. This is a critical leadership role requiring a driven individual who can work independently as well as collaborate and communicate throughout the organization.
- Develop and execute an integrated strategy (short term and long term) that drives strong sales growth internationally; cultivate our existing business across the globe while identifying and launching new strategic international markets.
- Bring bold thought leadership and strong execution to sales, promotions, education, training and marketing market by market and ensure a uniform standard of excellence and brand positioning across all markets.
- Lead and manage a large network of distributors including establishing best practices for communication, accountability, education, and one-voice.
- Define clear KPI’s with distributors to measure brand’s health and performance in each market. Manage all aspects of the international budget to deliver against plan.
- Develop and manage all forecasts related to international sales: sales plans, inventory and PO’s, expenses.
- With Marketing, develop products and offers for this channel, ensuring all programs are profitable for LP and are aligned with our business/brand objectives.
Qualifications and Relevant Experience
- A demonstrated record of success with over 10+ years in sales for personal care product industry. Must include at least 7 years in haircare salon market.
- Must have international experience and be willing to travel frequently (position requires 75% travel).
- Experience developing distribution in the Salon channel either domestically or internationally.
- Must have opened salons in a high-growth situation.
- Experience in scaling up operations to meet expected growth.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, bringing a needed balance between strategic and tactical skills.
- Must possess creative leadership skills that drive change, innovation and success.
- A strong leader with team-building and organization-building skills.
- Shared values and personal style consistent with Living Proof’s mission and culture.
Personal Qualifications and Behaviors
- Strong communication and influencing skills, with the ability to sell concepts and negotiate win/win situations.
- Healthy respect for technology/product development process.
- Strong work ethic, goal-oriented, comfortable driving strategy and execution.
- Executive presence, confident with a balanced ego.
- Flexible and resilient.
Living Proof is seeking a Brand Manager. This position is responsible for working with the team on new product development and product launch processes, packaging development and coordination with manufacturing, concept development, competitive analysis, timeline management, consumer testing, pricing strategy, promotional strategy, education, public relations and collateral support.
- New Product Development: Direct product development on the creation of new SKUs within our product portfolio, including overall market and competitive review, concept development, benchmark review and recommendation, claims analysis, recommended usage, sizing, pricing and packaging. Within the team, oversee timeline management to ensure that all key dates are met in the launch of the new product. Test and review each submission from product development and give iterative feedback. Work with the test salon as needed to evaluate trial of product on consumers. Participate in and run, as needed, the cross functional launch teams. Oversee all comp development of new products including development, photography, and providing materials to PR agencies and retail partners.
- Marketing Plan: Oversee various marketing plan elements including: (1) Sampling: help determine sampling plans and execute packaging and artwork; (2) In Store Events: coordinate with Retail Marketing and Sales Teams to make sure they have necessary resources to hold in-store events such as posters, PR coverage, samples, and gift bags; (3) Merchandising: work with Retail Marketing to determine retailer merchandising layouts (4) Education: ensure education team has all relevant information for upcoming product launches to create education materials; (5) Digital: review all product related copy on website.
- Artwork Management: Work with packaging engineers and creative designers to brief artwork development including all copy related to performance, claims, and usage. Work with Research and Development and Regulatory to ensure all copy is globally compliant. Work with translation house to translate into all required languages. Manage and review artwork submissions, proofs and approval process within Living Proof.
- Consumer and Market Research: Manage all consumer related research on product line including: defining screener, preparing questionnaires, finalizing usage instructions, and managing all logistics such as labeling and shipping product. Analyze data and report findings to team. Other research includes tracking online consumer reviews and distilling relevant market data from resources like Mintel into presentations.
- Presentations: Maintain marketing plan and other marketing and sales decks. Summarize marketing data and initiatives for Advisor and Board meetings.
- Customer Service: Work with Customer Service to develop all FAQs and conduct trainings on new products.
- Competitive Research: On an ongoing basis, analyze all relevant competitive information on Sephora, Ulta, Nordstrom, prestige retailers, Salons and Mass and provide recommendations for key competitive benchmarks, trends to watch and new product ideas.
Qualifications and Relevant Experience
- Mandatory: 5 - 7 years CPG experience; hair care experience preferred
- Strong strategic thinker
- Results oriented executor
- Strong project management skills – possess the ability to handle multiple priorities and projects at once
- A collaborator capable of establishing good personal relationships
- An independent operator capable of managing projects with limited directions
- Proven track record of launching creatively innovative products and consumer experiences
- Creative thinker with track record of being able to translate insights and product features into strong consumer facing communication
- Strong organizational skills and ability to track details while keeping focused on the big picture
- Responsible and extremely resourceful in finding answers and solutions when information and data is not readily available
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation experience
Reporting to the Director of Sales Operations, our Senior Sales Coordinator will provide key administrative and customer support for our domestic and international professional channels (“Salons”). This will include coordination for our direct and distributor relationships; and management of our order placement processes, tracking and support for our order fulfilment, and communication of order status to customers. In addition, the Senior Coordinator will help facilitate the enhancement of our online ordering portals, develop and improve sales operational processes, and encourage cross-functional collaboration.
- Serve as primary operational point of contact for all domestic and international Salon customers (focus on customer service and order fulfilment).
- Provide order administration duties to include product orders, customer service activities, sample requests, shipping issues and other pertinent items.
- Manage and develop online ordering portals for direct salons, domestic distributors and international distributors including item changes, pricing, and messaging.
- Support the order fulfilment process through close collaboration with Supply Chain, warehouse provider and Finance including change orders, out-of-stock issues, and communication of order status.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Sales teams to execute new item launches, promotional offerings, and various collection/kit configurations including the development of forecasts and customer allocations.
- Assist the Director of Sales with the development/implementation of strategies to streamline our processes and enhance our customer experience.
- Facilitate and support ‘inside sales’ activities to drive the health of replenishment orders.
- Provide sales and product expertise to customers where assistance is required.
- Complete ad hoc projects including, but not limited to, weekly and monthly reports, data entry, prospect mailings and any other sales support functions that may arise.
- Provide back-up support for administrative requests within customer service team including answering incoming phone calls, assisting customers with inquiries, and staffing the retail space.
- Proactive professional with 3-5 years of sales support or customer service experience.
- Must have strong commitment to company values and the ability to work in a team and sales-driven environment.
- Start-up or small company experience with multi-faceted roles desired.
- Capable of establishing good personal relationships.
- Responsible and extremely resourceful in finding answers and solutions when information and data is not readily available.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership qualities in complicated situations.
- Experience with ‘inside sales’ considered a plus.
- Good organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Living Proof is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to support Discovery activities for new product development in hair care. This position will report to the Head of Discovery. This is a paid, full time, position based in Cambridge MA. Immediate start date ideal.
The Postdoctoral position at Living Proof offers an excellent opportunity to gain hands on experience within a fast paced, entrepreneurial personal care Research and Development start-up. The incumbent provide leadership for multiple projects and facilitate cross functional team interactions among a diverse group of scientists within Living Proof and our external entities. Our Fellow will also gain real time exposure to the Living Proof’s New Product Development Process.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Hands-on polymer synthesis and characterization
- Design, develop and validate key methods and models for hair/ material interactions.
- Quantification and extensive use of hair performance test methods appropriate for program targets
- Reporting of data at weekly team meetings
- Laboratory upkeep and maintenance
- PhD or equivalent in Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Biomedical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Extensive experience in method development to study surface-material interactions. Such experience in personal care will be preferable.
- Laboratory experience in polymer synthesis, polymer modification and analytical characterizations of polymeric materials.
- Strong knowledge and experience with data analysis and interpretation using various computational and image analysis programs
- Knowledge of qualitative/quantitative methods to understand surface-material interactions.
- Experience in instrumental analysis including but not limited to mechanical testing of polymeric materials (Instron/diastron), microscopy, spectroscopy, thermal analysis, and GPC.
- Laboratory experience in polymer synthesis and characterization, materials science, and formulation.
- Ability to work effectively and independently in a lab setting.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Experience in working on a research program together with other researchers; data sharing and problem solving collaboratively on a team.